Yup, you heard me right. Memetastic Award! And I got one. No, it doesn’t hurt…it’s a fun thing, a blog award and dear Dorky Deb passed it on to me and four other recipients, having received one herself previously. Is there a catch? Not as far as I know, except…well I gotta set out five facts about myself…oh wait, four lies and one fact, and you gotta guess which one is the truth. I’ll warn you in advance that I have led a pretty…uh…exuberant life. Okay, weird life. And any one of the little gems could be true, but only one is…you guess which one. Ready?
1. My mother was a talented and acclaimed radio actress and played in radio dramas in the late 1940s. My father wrote the plays and produced them. I once got to scream in a WWII radio drama and then was shot while being held in my mother’s arms. The scream scared me more than the shot did.
2. My brother was good at horse riding and showed me how to ride when I was 6 or 7. He was training me to ride in the junior division of The Royal Winter Fair in Toronto. However, the horse I was training with, named Gypsy, bucked me off, I got scared, and didn’t get my nerve back until after the Fair was over. I never tried riding at the Winter Fair again.
3. My grandfather, a government surveyor, was surveying the boundary between northern Alberta and southern Northwest Territories in the early 1900s, when he was captured by aboriginals disgruntled by various Indian Treaties. They told him the government lied and they would kill him if he didn’t change the treaties. He did some fancy talking to convince them that he was a government surveyor, not a treaty agent. They eventually, reluctantly, let him go. He used to tell me the story as I sat on his knee. I didn’t really believe him until he showed me the faded newspaper clipping he kept in his desk drawer with a bunch of other memorabilia.
4. How fleeting is youth! When I was in my early 20s, I won a small beauty contest in Montreal…Miss NDG (Notre Dame de Grace), a municipal English district in Montreal. I let it go to my head, thinking maybe I could reach the heights of Miss Canada and then maybe even Miss Universe. Far from disliking the whole world of beauty shows, I loved it…the excitement, glamor, attention. I seemed to get along well with the other girls, which made a difference too. Anyhow, the next division was Miss Montreal…and I lost miserably to a lovely French girl. I later admitted that she was prettier than me. A lot prettier. I didn’t even get Miss Congeniality…they didn’t have that award in the Miss Montreal contest.
5. Motherhood agreed with me. Every time I got pregnant, I seemed to glow…never got morning sickness and seemed to be spared the more common aches and pains in the 7th, 8th and 9th months. My first child was born quickly, although I went through some pretty excruciating labor pains, but only for 7 years. During the 2nd and 3rd pregnancies, I practiced self-hypnosis, and honestly, I’ve had worse gas pains when it came time for labor. However, something went wrong with my innards, and the 4th and 5th babies were delivered by Caesarean. I couldn’t have any more babies after that. All five were healthy and normal.
Okay, of the five stories above, only ONE is true, the other four are lies. You have to figure out which one. Please leave your guess in a comment 🙂
Now for the rules for the five new winners of the Memetastic Blogging Award that I will choose shortly.
Here’s the deal with the Award. Once you receive the award you must do a few things:
- You must proudly display the award in a post.
- You must list 5 things about yourself and 4 of the 5 must be BOLD FACE LIES.
(your readers must guess which one is the truth)
- And you must then pass this prestigious award on, to 5 deserving bloggers.
And the winners are……………
1. Michael of Michael’s Blog
2. Janet of AnimalsOurEVERYTHING
3. Haley of Soldiering Through the Writing World
4. Hobbit Queen of Miss Bee Haven with Hobbit Queen
5. Kristin of Fearlessly Nourished
Congratulations, guys. Now get back to your blogs and…lie! 🙂
P.S. If you want to add yourself to the Memetastic Award winners list, here is the Memetastic Hop page.