For years, nay decades, I had wanted to be able to whistle like the boys did, using just two fingers held in some mysterious fashion to the mouth. I tried…oh how I tried!…but all I managed to do was spit down one arm to the elbow. In soggy despair, I gave up. Then along came my son, all growed up, who offered to teach me. To my happy surprise, he was a good teacher, and, before long, I was tweetering along with the best of them (not to be confused with tweeting which does require fingers but no lips or spit).
When I bragged about this ability in a reply to a bloggist friend’s post, she shared her own wish of many years that she could perform that exact same whistle. She asked me to post a blow-by-blow description of how to do it. So…this is for Huffygirl…and for anyone else who has always had a secret desire to whistle without spitting.
1. Curl your tongue upward.
2. Put an index finger into each side of your mouth, with the tip of the finger resting on the bottom part of the tongue just where the curl starts.
3. Close your mouth snugly over your fingers.
4. Blow wind through the space made by your fingers and the underside of your tongue. Think of blowing into a bottle to make a whistling sound. This is sort of the same way you need to blow through your mouth/fingers/under the tongue.
5. It might take a little practice, but this is definitely the way to do it. You might want to do it in the bathroom with the door closed…for two reasons. One, it might help you to watch how you are placing your fingers in the mirror. Two, you do look kind of dumb standing there spitting down your elbow until you get it.
6. Don’t give up. It will work. You will feel so triumphant when it does. Then you will drive your dog, cat, grandchildren and husband nuts while you go around tootling off-key.
P.S It occurred to me that You Tube might have something helpful, and, of course, it did. Have a look at this video, remembering that I wrote the above instructions before I looked at this video.