Exciting news today! No, not another flash fiction story – I got another award. This time, the Versatile Blogger Award — from the PanicMonster. You should read her blog, if you haven’t already. It’s extraordinarily honest and full of pain and courage. Thank you, PM, for this award.
With respect to the award, here are the terms and more information:
The Versatile Blogger Award is passed from blogger to blogger. It’s a great way to get your blog noticed, as well as highlight some of your favorite bloggers/writers. Considering the vast number of very creative and inspirational blogs in our own blogosphere alone, I am pretty happy to have been included in this august company 🙂
Now the idea in spreading the good word to others is:
1) Link back to the blogger that gave me the award . – done
2) Tell you 7 random things about myself. – see below
3) Choose 15 other blogs to pass the award to. – see below
4) Inform the other bloggers that I’m passing the award to them. – done
SEVEN RANDOM THINGS ABOUT ME
1. I almost died twice last year, once by injection of iodine for a catscan. It turns out I am deathly allergic to iodine. If my family doctor hadn’t recognized it right away and put me on a saline solution to flush out my veins, I would have died…my kidneys had already started to fail. The other time was a mix-up with too many doctors prescribing medications for me without regard to the medications I was already on. One prescription was again making my kidneys start to fail and my blood pressure had dropped alarmingly, but again my family doctor solved that by putting me in the hospital, saline solution for 24 hours, I was right as rain the next morning. We solved that particular one by passing any new medications past my family doctor before I started taking them.
2. I could read and write (actual writing, not printing) when I was four years old. I guess I couldn’t wait to grow up to get at my writing. I wrote my first “novel” when I was seven. It was a self-illustrated, five-page adventure story called ANGUS THE ANT.
3. I am 70 years old but have been repeatedly told that I don’t look more than my mid-50s. I like hearing that. When I was younger, I had somewhat shallow values, in that the looks of people were very important to me. I have matured considerably since then, but some of it still lingers 😳
4. I still read the Oz books and have never gotten over the idea that somewhere there may be a full-fledged fairyland (like Baum’s Land of Oz, or Anthony’s Xanth, or Brooks’s Magic Kingdom for Sale). I’ll let you know when I find it.
5. Charles, Prince of Wales, waved at me personally once when he came to Calgary for the Calgary Stampede. I was atop the chuck wagon entry of the radio station I worked for then and was enthusiastically yelling and waving to the crowd. Charles was in the reviewing stands and looked my way when he heard all the noise I was making. He grinned at me and waved back. That was 35 years ago. 🙂
6. I did the all-night radio broadcast for three years at CHQR in Calgary, before it became an all-talk radio station. It was like having my own party every night and I loved it. This was in the early 1980s.
7. I have three of the most adorable Shih Tzus you have ever seen: Ling Ling, Oreo Blizzard, and Tilly Tot. The first two were purchased from their breeders. However, Tilly Tot was a rescue dog, who was dying when we found her. She was so full of bladder stones she could hardly walk and couldn’t pee at all. We took her to the vet and he did the necessary operation. Tilly is now a happy, healthy, little sweetheart, a real loving addition to our little family.
Okay, on to the 15 new award winners. This might be difficult, since so many of the bloggers I follow regularly already have this award. Here goes:
1. AnimalsOurEverything – Janet Herring-Sherman
2. Dorky Deb – Debbie Norman
3. Fearlessly Nourished – Kristin Konvolinka
4. Huffygirl’s Blog – Donna Barry
5. Michael’s Blog – Michael Ayers (aka stickinsect)
6. Miss Beehaven with Hobbit Queen
7. Bookclub Cheerleader – Marsha Toy Engstrom
8. Fictional Campfire – Ken Broad
9. The Painted Universe – Anna Barlow
10. Out of the Woods – Billie Jo Woods
11. Selena Wolff’s Solitary Words
12. The Renegade Writer – Linda Formichelli and Diana Burrell
13. Publication Coach – Daphne Gray-Grant
14. The Sunflower Girl – Jennifer Alys Windholz
15. Blog Therapy (formerly Marya Writes) – Marya
That was more of a struggle than I anticipated. Other than the ones who already have this award, this is pretty nearly my whole Blogroll.
Congratulations, guys. I will be in touch personally soon to let you know, in case you don’t drift by to see what I’m up to. Thanks for being such great writers.